Sultry and sensual, the music of Latin cultures urges countless couples toward dance floors around the world—and continues to exert a potent influence on other genres. Tango, flamenco, bossa nova, fandango, klezmer, afro-samba, and jazz are among the styles featured in an evening of musical “encounters” featuring internationally acclaimed guitar virtuosos Grisha Goryachev and Fabio Zanon. The all-star lineup also includes Argentinian bandoneon player Héctor Del Curto, Colombian singer María Mulata, and Juno Award-winning pianist and composer Serouj Kradjian. Co-produced with the Royal Conservatory of Music as part of its 21C Music Festival, and including world premieres by Canadian composers Andrew Staniland and Mark Duggan, this colourful event also pays tribute to Toronto’s hosting of the 2015 Pan American Games.
Come early for a discussion with Soundstreams Artistic Director Lawrence Cherney, and Canadian composer Andrew Staniland.
The pieces in this concert reference a variety of Latin styles and are subject to change.
- Isaac Albeniz: Asturias (arranged by Serouj Kradjian and Grisha Goryachev)
- Ernesto Lecuona: Malaguena (arranged by Serouj Kradjian and Grisha Goryachev)
- Simón Díaz: Tonada de Luna Llena
- María Mulata: Todo tu me duele
- Traditional: Mambá
- Carlos Cesar Cachi Ortegón: Cuentame llano
- Andrew Staniland: Choro: The Joyful Lament for Villa-Lobos* (World premiere)
- Paco de Lucia: Monasterio de Sal
- Paco de Lucia: Entre Dos Aguas
- Baden Powell & Vinicius de Moraes: Consolação
- Baden Powell & Vinicius de Moraes: Tristeza E Solidão
- Baden Powell & Vinicius de Moraes: Labareda
- All arranged by Paulo Bellinati
- Astor Piazzolla: Histoire du Tango
- Alfredo Duarte: Estranha Forma de Vida
- Vitorino Salomé: Fado Triste
- Chico Buarque: Fado Tropical
- Mark Duggan: Choro Sem Lua** (World premiere)
- Heitor Villa-Lobos: Bachianas Tango Sambas (arranged by Serouj Kradjian)
- ENCORE: Kaija Saariaho: Papillon Theme (arranged by ensemble)
*Choro was commissioned by Mr. Stanley & Rosalind Witkin in honour of Mr. Martin Offman.
**Choro Sem Lua was commissioned by Soundstreams.
New works [re]composed by Serouj Kradjian and the performers commissioned by Soundstreams and The Royal Conservatory of Music in partnership.
Grisha Goryachev’s appearance is made possible by The Aaron Brock Foundation.